Secondary Guidance Counselor
219.888.7130 ext. 3556
Guidance Program Rationale
The Guidance & Counseling Department works collaboratively to provide a comprehensive developmental counseling program to all 21st Century Charter Secondary School students.
- To assist students in successfully navigating the high school process while helping to prepare them for post-secondary options
- To advocate for students by acting as a liaison to all academic departments, school services, and the community
- To provide academic advising, career and post-secondary guidance, and personal/social support to all students
II. Individual Planning
To meet with students on an individual basis to create and monitor a four year academic plan for high school and pick a college track.
- To meet with students individually to explore post-secondary options
- To meet with students individually for personal and social issues
III. Guidance Curriculum
- Career exploration
- College exploration
- Study skills
- Learning styles
- College application process
- Financial aid planning
21st Century Guidance Information
21st Century Charter School at Gary Secondary Course Guide Descriptions
College Admissions Tests
See the Counselor for waiver-forms.
Q: What is Accuplacer?
A: Accuplacer is a placement test that allows high school students to qualify for enrollment in college level classes. All of our students take this exam to qualify for college classes at Ivy Tech Community College.
General College Requirements
- 4 years of English, including composition, literature, and speech
- 3 years of Social Science
- 3 years Natural Sciences (with labs)
- 3 years of Mathematics
- 2 years of Foreign Language
College also look favorably on enrichment courses when they supplement a strong academic program. Courses in these areas provide important electives for 21st Century Charter School at Gary students who wish to enhance their course of study:
- Fine & Performing Arts
- Technical Courses